Hello, Hello.
It has been a busy few days. So, I am abbreviating them greatly.
Vienna with Luminescent Orchestrii Thursday night: at the Slovenian student center. There is a large Slovenian minority in southern Austria, Corinthia (which I was very excited to find out where Paul was postmarking all his letters to) and their population at the beginning of the 20th century was roughly 5 times as large as it is now, many moved back during or after the War. So, there exists on Monschein Strasse, Moonshine street, in Vienna a student center for Slovenian students.
Great gig, very noisy, lots of smoke (almost reminded me of playing in Winston-Salem, NC).
The next day we played in Graz, at the Communist party cultural center. It was great.
And then back to Vienna for the Klezmore festival, which was an amazing gig.
We played a more Jewish set than Lumii usually plays and it was very well received. We played in LeopoldStadt, the 2nd district, which used to be called Matzah-town because all of the Jews lived there. My grandfather grew up down the block from where we slept and a short walk from where we performed.
The next day, Sunday, I visited the building where my grandfather grew up.
1 comment:
Benjy! I was so excited to learn of your playing in Leopoldstadt-- sister city to our beautiful Brooklyn, which misses you! Noah and I send you happy holiday wishes and love. So lovely to catch up on this crazy blog thingy.
Post a Comment