That picture is of 19 Novaragasse, where my grandfather grew up. Just look at it sideways. (this is my first blogg, i even spell blog wrong).
Sunday continued with a trip to the Jewish museum and then a meeting with some Vienna artists to create a longterm collaborative project with the city.
Rio, who is an incredibly inspiring and energetic person, an instrument builder, and friend, had the idea that we, Luminescent Orchestrii collaborate with Viennese artists and create some work together.
He was especially interested in the story of my grandfather, and perhaps an exhibition of his work, he is a superb visual artist.
What does it mean to be a Viennese exile? And returning to Vienna, as a second generation American Jew, whose identity may or may not be related to Austria's capital?
When I was in Vienna last summer, I had an interesting conversation regarding this theme. At that point in time, I felt a jealousy of the cultural heritage of the city, its Museums, its plazas, concert halls. I imagined that if I were Viennese, I would be a better musician, would have been trained at an earlier age, would speak French and German and English perfectly, etc. I felt a jealousy of what I perceived it meant to be European and intellectual.
I had this conversation with Dieter, who grew up outside Vienna and he quite simply responded, "That is funny, as far as I am concerned Vienna died in '33 and its intellectual and artistic life moved to New York. "
So, it seems to be a matter of perspective. I am happy to have left Vienna knowing that a collaborative project will bring me back.
Responses??
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
If I were Viennese, I think I would have eaten more cake. And my German would be more awesome. I might also be better at Waltzing.
Also: My mom is reading your blog. She says hi.
The adventure at the bus station reminds them of trying to get to Cluj from Budapest including a time change they didn't know would happen. They had to run. My parents don't like to run. With a large duffel bag.
My mom also says that it's hard in America to encourage people who have musical talent. She also says your feelings on Vienna are an example of "the grass is always greener."
But she also agrees with you that kids in Europe get encouraged more in languages and music. I think my mom wishes she were European.
Also to come back to Passim.
Post a Comment